Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP Jeffrey Catherine Jones


I copied this from J David Spurlock's post on Jones' Facebook page. I still haven't come to grips with this one.

"Legendary fantasy artist-illustrator JEFFREY CATHERINE JONES passed away today, Thursday May 19, 2011 at 4:00 am surrounded by family. Jeffrey suffered from severe emphysema and bronchitis as well as hardening of the arteries around the heart. Jeffrey's dear friend Robert Wiener reported that there was a no resuscitation order as Jeffrey was weak from being severely under weight and had no reserves with which to fight. In accord with Jeffrey's wishes Jeffrey will be cremated. We have yet to hear details for a memorial service. Jeffrey was one of the greatest talents and sweetest souls we have ever been blessed to know. Rest in Peace, dear friend."

Jeff Jones was one of the greatest, if not the greatest, inspiration in my artistic life. His drawings are exquisite and his paintings are brilliant. The above painting is probably my favorite of Jones' and one of my favorite pieces of art ever. I was lucky enough to have seen it in person along with many others at a show the Joe Kubert School hosted. I spent countless hours with his art while I had the chance and have revisited all of it through books and the internet in the 25 year since I met him at that show. It is still hard to believe that we have lost, in the space of just over a year, Frank Frazetta, Al Williamson & now Jeffrey Jones. The world is just that much emptier without their talents among us.

No comments:

Post a Comment